Fine Monday to you all,
Hope you all have been enjoying this festive season. God has been so good I don't know how to thank him enough.
I've been sharing my time with my mamma. She is my shero, my inspiration, my why, why teacher. She is a beautiful women both inside and out. A great women of God, a pastor at our Nigerian Ministry CCSSP (Christ Corner Stone Salvation Praise).
Over the weekend we were sharing a couple of things. We mostly discussed goals, plans, intentions, focus and productivity. We shared some things I remember her tell us (myself and my siblings) as we were going up.
My mum always stresses the important of starting the day with prayer and gratitude to our maker. Growing up with a strong praying mother, I always heard these scriptures, (Philippians 4:6)
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.", (Colossians 4:2) "Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving..." (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." Focusing on God has always made me set clear intentions and plans for my days.
Benefits of starting your day focused on Christ?
The benefits are endless! I'm just going to list a few...
1. Less likely hold grudges
2. More courage to do the thing God is calling you out to do
3. More patience and strength to relate with others
4. More likely to encourage others
5. More clarity and overall focus and stillness
Setting intentions is how I round up my morning prayer session. The over-arching principle is always my question to God. How can I grow today? What do I need to know? What do you want me to work on? My intentions are always: Learn, be, do, feel and experience. I sometimes say it out loud, I may whisper it, write it down, It may just be a silent request. The bible says the proverbs 3:6 "In everything you do, put God first and he will direct you and crown your effort with success." Another verse my mum always highlighted to me growing up and one she still reminds me of.
After my personal prayers and gratitude, I read the word, then I journal and affirm positive words, conditioning my mind for greatness. After all that I worship and pray with who ever is home with me that morning (normally My middle sister) then I go about the rest of my morning routine.
With focusing and remaining focus throughout the day, there is something I do that is called 'Hyper focusing'. The word Hyper focused originated from ADHD literature. This term "describes the phenomenon when a single task consumes one's full attention, whether or not the task is important." (Bailey, 2018)
Hyper focus is basically intense focus plus deliberate attention minus distraction that means do not disturb mode on and dedicated work mode on! I normally do a 25mins slot of then a 5 mins break and repeat as needed or just do one slot and move on to another task, I find that works well for me.
How to enter a hyper focus mode?
Here are four simple steps I use to enter this focused mode...
1. Choose a productive task or objective you need your full attention on
2. Eliminate as many external as well as internal distractions as you possibly can
3. Focus on the task you have chosen
4. Carry on drawing your full attention to this chosen task
How to remain focused?
Not the easiest thing to do as distractions are always around us. Our minds wonder, a new notification just entered, we are thinking about to have for dinner and everything else in-between.
1. Setting strong clear daily, weekly intentions
2. Anticipate the obstacles you might face as you are completing you task: A few minutes taken out to make a simple plan can save you so much time and increase your productivity
3. Set a timer: I normal work in 25 minutes work 5 minutes break and a 52 minutes work 17 minutes break type work timing, try these ones and others and see what works best for you
I hope you got some value from this post...